MP3 Diags – free software to analyze and resolve a variety of issues associated with mp3 playback. In fact this is a real workshop for minor and major repairs such files.The list of problems will help to understand MP3 Diags more than impressive: incorrect/duplicate tags, incorrect encoding tags (non-English characters), the duration is wrong/incorrect rewind in the player (variable bit rate), non-audio data within the audio stream, unknown/unsupported/empty audio streams, as well as to “improve” the quality, volume normalization and more, just about fifty points.
It should be noted that works MP3 Diags not obvious, and this behavior will have to get used to. First we create a new session, which you need to select the directory with the music. The “problem” files, it is better to lay down in advance, so it will be faster and safer, and to work with them already there with backup. Next you need to come up with some name for the settings file, it will be used for all subsequent runs. And only after these steps we get to the main window of the program. The very same work from MP3 Diags is to read the message about the detected problem and pressing the right buttons, which it eliminates.
For all buttons provided by the tooltip. The top left button to add a directory (Scan) and a few handy filters, arrow on both sides of the address bar allow you to navigate between directories, on the right we are interested in “repair” button, the tag editor, Normalizer, and more. All the window takes a list of files and detailed description of issues found. The latter can be addressed as singly and in groups. Each numbered “repair” button is its own group with its own set of problems it can fix. The contents of the button is easily editable in the settings.
Some of the more important issues that are found:
- broken tags / headers / audio
- duplicate tags / headers
- incorrect placement of tags / headers (ID3V2, ID3V1, LAME, Xing, …)
- low quality audio
- missing VBR header
- missing track info / cover art
- broken track info / cover art
- missing normalization data
- character encoding issues (for languages other than English)
Some of the fixes and changes that MP3 Diags can do:
- Adding / fixing track info, including album cover; information can be retrieved from several sources: Internet, clipboard, file name, local files, and (obviously) keyboard
- Correcting files that show incorrect song duration
- Correcting files in which the player cannot seek correctly
- Converting characters for non-English names
- Adding composer name to the artist field, for players that don’t handle the composer field
- Renaming files based on their fields
- Changing word case for track info