SyncWall - quite a basic wallpaper changerEffects
-Scheduling : you can change wallpaper at start-up, by interval or at fixed time
-Ability to use/define system hot-keys to change wallpaper manually.
-Basic multi-monitor support in order to share the wallpaper across screens
-Ability to add some special effects (emboss, edge, blur, ...) to the displayed wallpaper.
-Ability to rate images in order to display them more often (if random order is selected)
-Several resizing methods and background filling
-Network synchronization of wallpaper change by defining a server and clients. Display parameters are shared across the network (same resizing type on all the desktops)
-Supported files :SyncWall uses Qt plugins to load image, so by default it can read basic formats as BMP, PNG, JPG. You can add more formats if needed by using bridge plugins to the FreeImage or the Devil libraries.
SyncWall isn't very complicated but you can find here some explanations about the interface.
The main interface is shown below with:
- The Quit button. Parameters are save during the close process, so if you want to be sure to save your current configuration, you can quit the application for that. This tool is also designed to work as a background task available in the system tray so to minimize it use the close button of the window manager, not the quit button !
- Launch the Online Help (this documentation).
- You can add directory or files to the pool of files by clicking these icons. For the directory choice, you can choose to search recursively for files and to monitor these directories (re-check at start-up).
- Delete selected input file. These files are only deleted from the list, not physically. If you have choose to monitor a directory, the file-list is reconstructed automatically at the program start-up, so if you delete a file from a monitored directory, it will reappear at the next launch (sorry !).
- Refresh the file-list. All the unavailable files are deleted and all the new files in the monitored directories are added.
- Set the first selected file as wallpaper. You can also double click on the list for that or right click with the mouse
- You can preview in a simple previewer the first selected files.
- Preview of the desktop with the first selected file. This preview is made according to the image parameters (multi-monitor support, ...).
- You can display a detail list for the files but you can also display a thumbnail view.
- Network state status
- If multi-monitor is selected and the resizing method is "Fill proportionally", user can edit manually the position of current image is order to display only the best part.
- Wallpaper are displayed in a random order.
- Rate of the image. User can change this by pressing or by double clicking with the mouse on the stars. Only useful if random order is selected. In this case, the image with a higher score is displayed more often.
- Access to other parameters (network, image, start-up, ...)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install syncwall
If you do not want to add to your system WebUpd8 PPA, you can manually download the deb package SyncWall from here.The Arch Linux users can install the latest version SyncWall through
For other Linux distributions, Windows and Mac OS X, see the download page SyncWall here.