Transmission - simple and free BitTorrent clientInternet
Nowadays it is difficult to find a person who does not enjoy the torrent trackers. After all, this is the best way to download any amount of information quickly and totally free. That's just very much depends on the program through which You download the data.
Transmission is one of the most popular BitTorrent clients for Unix-like systems. It is a freely distributable open source code.
The main advantage of this software is really free software without ads, pop-UPS and dodgy links. You can safely download your own torrent and close the program – no one will try to sell You a computer or offer to participate in a lottery. The second advantage is a few options for controlling Transmission. In addition to the usual windowed mode, you can add and remove torrents from the command line or through a browser.
Some popular BitTorrent clients tend to consume a large amount of system resources. If You didn't pay attention to it, just try to remove the used software of this kind from startup. Most likely, Mint will boot for 5 seconds faster. But the Transmission, by contrast, provides a minimum load on the CPU. The basic concept of this program is the necessary functionality and nothing more. So in windowed mode to work is easy, the interface is very simple and convenient. Of course, some analog applications more functionality, but in order to connect to the distribution and stick with it after the download is complete, the Transmission will be enough for sure. By the way, here is a list of main features:
- Priority setting download individual files
- Block list
- Connection can be encrypted peers
- You can create your own torrent files
- The possibility of sharing peers. The compatibility of this option with BitTorrent, Vuze and µtorrent.
- Supports IPv6
- Ensured the health magnet links
- Selective download available
- The program uses UPnP (Universal Plug and Play network protocols to automatically configure network devices) and NAT-PMP (NAT Port Mapping Protocol, a network Protocol for port forwarding without user commands)
- The ability to quickly restore boot caching peers
- If the peer sends a large amount of incorrect data, it can be moved to the restricted list
- All torrents use the same listening port
Installation latest version into Linux Mint:
sudo apt-get install transmission
To receive the latest updates add the official repository
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:transmissionbt/ppa sudo apt-get update
To install in daemon mode
sudo apt-get install transmission-daemon
Thus, You will get both the desktop client and the daemon that is always running in the background. If You want to change the settings of the last, will have to edit the config file. But, before that, be sure to stop the operation of the program. This can be done also via the terminal:
sudo service transmission-daemon stop
My home computer has exactly the demon version. I control it through a web interface.
After installing the program with the first program, you get a fully working standalone client.
May the Force be with you,