The ability to update Cinnamon to version 2.8 may interest someone who likes to try something new, and someone who wants to help compile bugs before the official release.
Sorry for the spelling and phonetic errors in the text.
Owner and main writer of MintGuide.org is not a native English speaker.
Attention: the official release of Cinnamon 2.8 is expected in late October. Before the announcement about the release, don't think Cinnamon 2.8 stable.
HOW TO UPGRADE TO CINNAMON 2.8
If you have Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela”:
From root, create the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00romeo with the following contents APT::Cache-Start "104857600";.
This can be done as follows:
sudo su echo 'APT::Cache-Start "104857600";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00romeo exit
This is necessary in order to work around a bug in APT (for more details, read the comments on launchpad)
If you're running Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” or LMDE 2 “Betsy”:
- From the application menu, launch “Software Sources”
- Enable the option “Unstable packages (romeo)”
- Update the cache
Now you can update Cinnamon 2.6 to version 2.8 via the update Manager:
- Start the update Manager
- Click "Check for updates"
- Select the updates related to Cinnamon
- Click apply
- If you have installed the extension for nemo, they too will be updated.
- The entry into force of the changes, you must log out and log in again.
HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THE UPSTREAM DEVELOPER
Developers are always interested in new ideas and bug reports. However, when preparing release 2.8 is focused on the identification and correction of "regression".
"Regression" is a new bug for version 2.8 and 2.6 it worked. If you have found a regression while running 2.8, please report it in the comments segfault.linuxmint.com adding the following information:
- A description of the problem
- How often does this happen (one or two times, sometimes or permanently)
- How to reproduce the problem
- If it worked in 2.6, etc. (details not often enough)
Why you need such a detailed description? If you will be able to describe exactly how to cause the reported bug, in that case increase the chances that the problem will be solved quickly.
You can also write to the developers about:
- New ideas and send requests to add new features.
- Your reviews about Cinnamon 2.8 (in the comments on segfault.linuxmint.com)
WHAT'S NEW IN CINNAMON 2.8
Great list of updates on http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2015/10/early-access-to-cinnamon-2-8/
May the Force be with you!!!