Warning. The Linux kernel is a critical element of the system. To do the upgrade costs when one of your hardware devices is not working properly, and the new kernel may fix this problem. But at the same time installing a new kernel unnecessarily can lead to undesirable regressions, such as: no network connection, no sound or even the inability to boot the system, so install a new kernel on your own risk.
Among the most notable changes in the 5.0 kernel are:
- from Android moved energy-efficient task scheduler for CPU ARM big.LITTLE
- Added adianthum file system encryption mechanism
- added support for FreeSync technology in AMD GPU driver
- implemented file system Binder fd53
- appeared the possibility of placing the paging file on Btrfs
- added support for the msg_zerocopy and GRE (Generic Receive Offload) flag in UDP)
- seccomp realized the possibility of removal of handler locks in user space.
A significant change in the version number is not an indicator of special changes, but is formed for aesthetic reasons and only indicates the accumulation in the branch 4.x enough to start a new numbering of a number of issues. Changing the first number in the kernel version is a formal step, relieving discomfort due to the accumulation of a large number of issues in the series. Recall that the transition to version 3.x was implemented in 2011, when the branch 2.6.x has 39 releases and branch 4.x was created in 2015 after the preparation of 20 issues 3.x. At the same time change of versions 3.x and 4.x correlated well with the number of git objects in the repository - kernel 3.0 was released when there were approximately 2 million objects in the repository and kernel 4.0 was 4 million objects. Release 5.0 breaks this logical chain because the repository currently includes approximately 6.5 million git objects.
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ukuu
If you decide to delete the kernel 5.0,
1. When the computer boots, the GRUB menu, select your old kernel. After booting the system, remove the new kernel by command below
2. Use program UKUU or command:
3. And update GRUB or BURG
sudo apt purge linux-image-5.0-*
To return to the previous